Sunday, September 16, 2012

MY 1st SUMPTUOUS AIR TRAVEL



Poor people like me wait for promo airfares. Poor people like me never expect to sit on those comfortable, huge & luxurious seats in the front rows of any airline. Poor people like me aren't used to being treated like a "king" or "queen." Poor people like me would never spend so much just to get special treatment. Poor people like me are okay with watching classy people being prioritized in boarding, service & amenities. Recently, I've just experienced what poor people like me never expect but have always dreamed of--a BUSINESS CLASS AIR TRAVEL experience. 


United Airlines (used to be Continental Airlines) is the world’s leading airlines with a widespread route network. This is the only Airline that has domain over the Pacific Islands. Because of its full authority for flights in this route, airfare costs so much. From the Marshall Islands to the Philippines, a regular one-way ticket could cost $1,100. For promo tickets, it could go down to about $800, which should be bought at least 6 months before your trip. My vacation was long planned already & I already had tickets for the KBM trip. But my United Airlines ticket was booked very late because I thought I wouldn’t be coming back for good anymore & that the Ministry of Education would pay for my return ticket to the Philippines. With that, I was forced to pay $2,200 for my United Airlines roundtrip ticket. (Don't wonder why I end up bankrupt every after vacation. Airfare alone from here to Manila costs so much!)

My coming back was supposed to be earlier (Aug.6). I cancelled my ticket because I had the go signal from my Mom to just stay in Gen.San. & find a hospital to gain clinical experience. However, my conscience kept bothering me. My students kept messaging me on Facebook. My parents & I finalized that I should just go back. The only affordable ticket left was on Aug. 21. I went ahead & booked my ticket. I went to Manila on the 19th, just to find out that Aug. 20 & 21 were holidays. It meant I wouldn’t be able to process my exit clearance from POEA. I had no choice but to rebook my ticket to Aug. 23. Good thing I wasn’t penalized. (That’s the good thing about regular, non-promo tickets)


On Aug. 23, I was at the airport at exactly 6pm for my 10:55pm flight. The line for United Airlines check-in counters was already a bit long. Check-in counter would open at 8pm. While waiting, some United Airlines crew went around to check the weight & size of our baggage. For promo tickets, only one 50 pound luggage for check-in is allowed. You are allowed a 2nd check-in luggage for a $70.00 fee. For regular tickets like what I had, we were allowed two 50pound luggages. The crew askedy  me if I was a United Airline crew because I had 3 luggages. I told them the small one was for carry-on. They said it was oversized & it should be 
checked-in. I started to be nervous & I started praying because I know that for the 3rd baggage, it would cost more than $200. My turn came & the lady at the check-in counter wouldn’t allow my small luggage to be hand-carried because of its size, weight & I already had Krispy Kreme boxes on my left hand  a heavy Long Chan bag on my right,. She informed me my 3rd luggage would cost $250.00 I didn’t have that enough money & I wouldn’t risk such a big amount just for that baggage. A whisper from heaven told me to inquire about business class. So, I did. She inquired from the manager & the manager said, upgrading to business class will just cost $150. That’s still way much but better than the $250. (Gosh, $150 means much already coz I'm broke) So, with a heavy heart, I gave my consent for upgrade to business class. When she gave back my card, ticket & boarding pass, I was surprised to find out that the upgrade costed only $80. Boy, I left the check-in counter feeling really really really really happy, lucky & blessed! It was such a blessing, because:

1. There was only 1 vacant seat in business class. I stayed on the same seat from Pinas all the way to Guam, then the MatshalI Islands, While most of my companions in business class had to change seats every stop-over, I stayed in mine all the way. Lay-over at Guam is 5 hours, Chuuk is 45 minutes, Pohnpei- 45 mins., Kosrae-45 mins., Kwajalein-45 mins. Imagine some of my fellow business class passengers changing seats, while I was the only one who stayed in mine. God was really good to me.
2. Instead of paying $150 for upgrading too business class, I just paid $80. Such a great deal!
3. I travelled liter because my 3 luggages were checked-in &
4. I got to experience the luxury of business class air travel.
5. Every stopover, passengers have to go down (using the stairs since the 4 island stopovers have very small airports) carrying all their carry-on baggage. Business Class passengers just stayed inside the aircraft.

Miascor Lounge NAIA 1



View from Miascor Lounge NAIA 1

I felt like a stranger inside Miascor Lounge. There were like 8 passengers only. All 8 of them looked rich, old & very serious. (MMMM) There was a buffet table full of desserts, drinks & main courses which I ignored because I thought I would have to pay for it. hehehe.. Of course I didn't bother to ask so I wouldn't look ignorant. I wasn't able to stand the silence & the boredom so I decided to go out of the lounge & walk & look around just like what I always do while waiting for the flight.
















A Business Class passenger gets priority to check-in, in boarding, bag delivery & deplaning. United Business seats have room for work & relaxation. Oh how I loved the extra extra extra legroom. I was seated beside a
big time U.S. Navy who never stopped talking & talking & talking. I had fun though because I learned a lot from him. He was also very appreciative & observant of how I behaved. I thought all MMMMs were dirty-minded. hehehe.. But yeah, I think Whites are really nice people to talk to since they're very frank & open.
Whew! So, this is how it feels to be seating in front on a huge, luxurious seat!
Desserts, wines & other drinks are unlimited



AT GUAM AIRPORT

Inside United Club Presidential Lounge

United Club Presidential Lounge
The Lounge offered unlimited drinks but I chose to go to
Burger King for real food & have my last taste of fast food
(Wala na ni sa isla..hehe)

Stairway inside the Lounge
Been through this Airport for more than 20 times.
Finally, I have a picture!





Breakfast
Lunch
Excited to be home!
My luggage with priority access tags
Premiere Access Tags on my luggage

I loved the comfort, special treatment, feeling of importance & the unlimited delicious food & drinks. It's an experience I'd always cherish. Realities of life were reemphasized though. 
"Money is powerful," &
 "Life is never fair."

1 comment: