Wednesday, January 16, 2013

THE GIGANTIC LEAP

December 25, 2012 was to be the most awaited day in my life. It was the date I scheduled to end one chapter of my life and start a new one. But as the date approached, excitement turned to ambivalence and eagerness turned to anxiety. Nearing the said date became a nightmare turning into reality. Time is inevitable, and it did come.

Good thing the Ministry of Education booked me on the 27th because Christmas is always a big deal to my Sister. I didn’t want her to be sad on that day.
Classes ended on the 21st. Farewell parties for me here and there kept me very busy. Checking papers and finalizing their grades kept me sleepless even until the dawn of my departure date. Oh, I wished I could prolong my stay in the land I considered home for the past 12 years. (I’d be blogging about Majuro soon. But the day finally came. It was so drastic I didn't have time to do all the things I wanted to do before leaving. I woke up at 4:00AM to make sure I’d be at the airport by 7:00AM. I can’t be late again like last time. (Last time, I was denied to check-in my bags because I was 10 minutes late. Which, I didn’t know of because that time was a 9:00AM flight and I’m used to the 10:00AM flight.)
 
Caren, my sister, didn’t come with us to the airport. I think she didn't want to see me go. We hugged tightly for a very long time and the tears on her face melted my heart. I choked trying hard not to cry and left before I could have broke down.
From Majuro, it’s approximately a 16-hour flight to Manila because of island hopping. Here are the islands we have to set foot on:
         Majuro
         Kwajalein (U.S. military airbase) -45 minutes layover
         Kosrae (Federated State of Micronesia) –45 minutes layover
         Pohnpei (Federated State of Micronesia) –45 minutes layover
        Chuuk (Federated State of Micronesia) –45 minutes layover
        Guam (U.S.A.) –3 to 4 hours layover
        Manila
I used to dread the long travel and island hopping. This time, I was emotional knowing I might not pass that way again since my parents are retiring in June 2013 to return for good in the Philippines. Although they are already Marshallese citizens, I don’t know if I’d still have the opportunity to go back to Majuro.

Arriving Manila at 9:00PM of the same day (Thursday), I proceeded to Manila International Airport (also known as NAIA 2 and PAL airport). That’s where I usually spend the night while waiting for the first flight for General Santos the next morning if I don’t intend to stay long in Manila. May Win picked me up and we spent the night talking before we dozed off. I slept from 1:00AM to 2:00AM and wasn’t able to sleep ‘til morning anymore.
My flight on that Friday, Dec.28, supposed to be at 7AM, was moved to 8AM. Then, again, was moved to 12NN since they were repairing something minor on the airplane. I arrived General Santos at around 2PM.

I’m unsure of what life will be after taking the gigantic leap. I’m anxious about the hardships I will be facing. I am scared of regretting I left my comfort zone. But while on the plane, a book gave me realizations and inspiration. 

“Sometimes, God’s will for you is simply to be patient. Apparent delays could mean that rather than you picking an option, God’s will is coming to you special delivery. You just need to stay where you are and watch what happens. God could be saying, ‘Stay right there. I’m going to change everything without you doing anything…’ But while you’re waiting patiently for new directions, continue to do the work at hand with all your heart. Many fail to fulfill the present will of God for their lives because they are longing for something different.” (Doug Bachelor, “Determining the Will of God”) 

I could say, that’s what exactly what I have been doing for the last three years while in Majuro. Light bulb turned on! I will never regret the three years spent there because I have learned so much about real life while teaching. The words I only used to talk about and idealistically tried hard to have in my life has become part of who I am: unselfishness, service, altruism, patience and true love.

“Sometimes God will place things on your heart because He wants you to do that thing—and because it is in your heart, you want to do it too.” (Doug Bachelor, “Determining the Will of God”)

While waiting for God’s answers to my prayers, I knew I wanted to practice my nursing profession. It didn’t matter where. But that’s what my heart wanted. It took me three years to gather strength, will and enlightenment to finally take “The Gigantic Leap.”

No comments:

Post a Comment