Thursday, August 30, 2012

JUNKETING GUAM! (Finally)


Guam didn’t mean much to me since we have been passing through it since year 2000. I’ve been inside Guam Airport for more than 20 times I guess. I realized that it was time I take time to discover the richness of that Island. With my ever-ready friend, Charice, we decided to spend 5 days in Guam on our way back to the Philippines. 






























We were supposed to be there on July 26. Somehow, I was 10 minutes late for check-in. I’m used to the 10:30AM flight so I thought checking-in at 8:00 was okay. The flight was 9:30AM so no matter how much we pleaded I wasn’t allowed to check my bags in. I had no choice but wait for a vacant seat since all flights were full and I was on stand-by. Thank God I was able to board on the 28th. I was expecting to go around Guam making use of public transportation. Buses are available but the routes are limited. Taxis are expensive and we weren't brave enough to rent a car and drive around. Big thanks to Dr. Danny Dial & Jan Rey Roa for their kindness & hospitality. The following days will be seen through pictures.

Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica



This was included in my checklist of "must sees." We didn't get a close view but at least I can say I've seen it (from afar..hehe).Dating back to the 17th century, this church was once led by the first missionary in Guam and was completely restored to its current splendor following its destruction in WWII. 






Fort Santa Agueda
This is where we first dropped by straight from the airport. It's very close to Guam Micronesia Mission.

Fort Santa Agueda, the only surviving Spanish fort in Hagatna provides a commanding view of the capital village of Hagatna and the Philippine Sea.

Photo Credits: Jan Rey Roa

Tumon Bay
Tumon Bay is the tourism hub of  Guam. Boutiques displaying designer labels and luxury fashion accessories share the strip with renowned hotels and restaurants.



Photo Credits: Jan Rey Roa
Guam-Micronesia Mission Headquarters 
at Agana Heights 

GMM is the Headquarters of the SDA Church in the Pacific (Guam-Micronesia). This is where we were accommodated. Thanks to Dr. Danny Dial! There are guest rooms available at a very reasonable & affordable price. It was also great seeing familiar faces of Church leaders who usually visit us at Majuro. 




Guam Adventist Clinic owns a vast parcel of land. There are houses for their workers at the back. (A million thanks to the Roa's for being so kind and accomodating)

Northern SDA Church is made up of mostly Filipinos. It was one of the best churches I've been to. It's a small Church, were everyone is like part of a big family. People were very warm and friendly. Plus, great vegetarian food. hehehe...
Photo credits: Jan Rey Roa


















War in the Pacific National Historical Park at Asan Beach
"At War in the Pacific National Historical Park the former battlefields, gun emplacements, trenches, and historic structures all serve as silent reminders of the bloody World War II battles that ensued on Guam. While the park is known for its historical resources, the warm climate, sandy beaches, and turquoise waters also beckon visitors and residents to enjoy the island's natural resources."(http://www.nps.gov/wapa/index.htm)

NIMITZ HILL: Over-viewing War in the Pacific National Park
Photo Credits: Jan Rey Roa













Two-Lover’s Point
This is situated on the cliff-line on the northern part of Tumon. Getting to Two-Lover's Point can be difficult because bus lines don't pass this way. We were lucky Jan Rey brought us here. This is one major tourist attraction in Guam that shouldn't be missed.

You can't help but appreciate the handy-work of God for the magnificent view from the viewing deck. This is indeed, "A view of Guam that will stay with you for the rest of your life..." as captioned on the ticket.

I consider it a great venue for weddings, just disregard the tragic ending of the legend. 



Photo Credits: Jan Rey Roa



Shopping 
Guess bag & Nine West sandals
A tourist would never forget about shopping. There are several big shopping malls in Guam: The Micronesia Mall, Guam Premier Outlets, K-Mart, and Agana Shopping Center. I was surprised they also had a mini SM (an indication that Pinoys are predominant in Guam).

Well, we were on a budget trip; so we went shopping at Ross, where you can "dress for less."










I fell in love with Her. It’s a small, westernized Island with everything readily available and accessible. The rich history and diversity of culture makes it more fascinating.The place is flooded with Filipinos, which I guess is one reason why I had the homey feeling. The beaches, just like the Marshall Islands, are white and tempting. If I’d be given the chance, I’d like to work & live there for awhile. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow nice. Travel blogger na. I want to go to Guam too. Hmmmmm. I hope someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. novice pa pare..hehe..hopefully makakatravel din ako like you...

      Delete